3.8.06

While The Temp. Rises , Sales Is Down

Summer sure is fun . One thing good is the drive in movie in our place is open now. Actually since last month . We watched RV there starring Robin Williams and Da Vinci Code of Tom Hanks. Somehow , drive in movie bring some nostalgia. It brought memories of life a lot simpler . I did not grow up in that period but from accounts I heard from much older kins, it was the start of awakening of the youth. That's when booze , drugs and other stuff were introduced to the youth. I wonder how much the young ones today are still doing stuff on drive in like depicted in the movie Amercan Graffiti ? The advent of smaller cars made this practice less enjoyable . I think !

I heard on the radio today that the Americans are not so much in love with their cars anymore like in yesteryears. In the 60's , about 1 of 2 cars on the road were GM cars. The Big 3 - GM , Ford and Chrysler - lorded it over the industry . Now , Toyota is set to overtake Ford as the no.2 carmaker in the world . Then , it's only a matter of time before Toyota dislodges GM as the world's numero uno ! The bosses at GM always remind us of the Toyota threat. You can say that we are operating at GM in the state of paranoia ! Every month, Toyota's sales go up while the Big 3 plummets . July is no different .

6 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

i never was big on automobiles..i have had 3 forms of transportation that i loved...my 49 dodge(the dove hunting car...wonder mother she was called)my 76 cj-5 blue jeep...i loved her above all others...and my 89 dodge cravan..that drove me all over the united states full of me, books, and my pillows...it was the most dependable realliabe auto i ever had...
i loved drive ins..and if i won the lottery i would build one right here in west, texas...
re:yc on my post ....you would be surprised how many people in texas think bush is a burlap bag full of shit...im like willie..he aint no texan he aint no cowboy..he gives both a bad name...plus we have an expression in texas about men like george w bush(or as i call him..forest gump)....'all hat and no cattle'.....

Keshi said...

I guess the reason for that is far too many ppl own cars these days..one family has abt 3 cars and it's a bloody nuisance on the roads.

Keshi.

Ekta said...

hey lovely post and completely agree that even during the time we grew up life was so much simpler than it is now!
time flies by !

Strictly for my friends said...

Do you work with GM? Otherwise, why are you so bothered? Personally, I like the BMWs!

Becky said...

I went and saw Pirates of the Caribbean: dead man's chest, didn't really like it.

Penguin said...

I hit the tail-end of drive-in movies. My parents took me and my brother once to see a Disney film (I was all of 7). I didn't go again until I was 19 and, well, it wasn't the type of movie I'd want to see with my parents!
I miss drive-ins. I still don't understand why they went away.

As for cars, my dream is to own the following: a '65 Mustang convertible, '69 Dodge Charger, '00 Firebird WS6. I must admit, as an adult, I've found GMs to be the most reliable.