24.8.06

When I'm 64 .

' Will you still need me , will you still feed me , when I am 64 ' goes the lyrics of a famous Beatles song . Although the song is really between sweethearts , lately it applies to aging baby boomers and their children more. CNN reported last Tuesday that there's an increase in suits involving the parents and kins and how the former want to be treated . Last week , replays of Soprano featured Tony sending a reluctant ( and angry ) mother in a nursing home. ' What kind of son sends his mother to a home ' said his TV uncle , Junior Soprano.
I have no problem staying in a nursing home when I grow old . Maybe ? Traditionally , the eldest child takes care of an aging parent(s). If not , they live close by . My parents live separately but really close to my big brother' home. . Although I said that I will have no problem living in a home for the aged when I grow old , I don't know emotionally how I will feel when that time comes . My son every now and then jokes that he will send us to a senior's home in the future . Wonder if he's really kidding !



7 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

i would rather live under a overpass then live with my kids..nuff said..i know if i go into a home it will be the one here in west...it's cool...and they are building a really nice assisted living place here too..it could be worse...i could have to sleep under a overpass...ha

Cindi said...

Some of these places are not bad, actually. Letting go of my independence will be difficult at any point. When I have to quit driving, I'll be ready to go to a home.

Lee Ann said...

Maybe by that time, there will be something new and improved for us!

mckait said...

i honestly think that i would die in a home.

i need.. require.. live for.. time to myself..animals around me.. outdoors..

would i live with any of my kids? well, i am pretty sure that my daughter might try to care for me, but i do not want to burden her.. too many stories , too close to home.. to be very honest, i would rather just die.

Penguin said...

There are so many different types of "Senior Living" arrangements, I can see myself going to one. My Mom's friend - in her 70's - has her own apartment, is gone most of the day and many evenings going on trips or playing games or just socializing with others in her complex. She is a Sprite!

My Mother-in-law, on the other hand - also in her 70's - should be in some sort of place other than her trailer in the country. She loves her trailer, but, my husband makes too many phone calls and too many trips to check on her. She needs to be in a place that she can do all of the things the aforementioned Sprite does, but, also needs someone to check on her a few times a day.

It is a difficult situation for anyone to be faced with. I think that if it is done with kindness and caring, and the person is not "forgotten", it isn't such a bad lot.

Of course, if my daughter started talking to me now about it - with thoughts of Geritol and pablum - I'd be running for the hills!

Becky said...

Geez, I know my mom isn't going to a retirement home! But my dad, he can go for all I care.

Ellen said...

I'd like to be as independant as possible to the very end, but understand the need for some people to be in homes.... especially now that alzheimers and dementia are affecting so many people.

As much as my step-mother hated putting my Dad in a home when he was in the full swing of dementia, he became very hard for her to care for while working a full time job. She apologized many times over to me for her decision, but I knew he needed 24 hour care that was impossible for her to provide. Besides, it was for his own safety.
That's why it pays to be nice to the people around you, as they do pick your final home.