21.8.06

Acquired And Inborn Traits .

I have 2 sons . Two different sons . Two sons with nothing in common. Well , their father and mother . Funny , how you tend to compare 2 siblings especially if the 2 are not born so much apart .Not unlike Wally and Beaver in my fav TV show of yesteryears . My wife tends to cite their habits and idiosynchracies especially the not so good ones . She's quick to point out 'bad habits' my sons acquired from me . You know , like eating in front of tv whether in the basement or their respective rooms . ' In the new house , I won't allow eating if not in the dining table ' my wife warned me recently when my youngest ran with a plateful of food in the basement. See what I mean !

My youngest son amazingly is very much like me . Amazing because some of these traits I'm quite sure my son 'inherited' not acquired . My eldest son, although not exactly a social animal, is at ease with people. The youngest one is very inhibited except to his friends . I remembered very vividly one incident that happened when son no.2 was barely able to walk. We were playing - just me and son no.2 - when the doorbell rung in our condo unit . I left him to the carpeted floor while I opened the door . It was a friend of mine . I asked him to come inside and we chatted for a while while my son played on the floor within my eyesight so I thought . After my friend left , I called for my son . I cannot find him until I looked under the loveseat . The poor boy was under it hiding like a scared kitten all bent I don't know for how long . When my wife arrived with son no.1 from shopping , I told her the story . ' He's just like you . Scared of people ' she blurted . See what I mean . Again.

10 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

trust your son's instincts...get a new friend....

i wish i had made my sons and daughter all eat together at the dinner table like i did when i lived at home as a kid..we talked about everything..my school day, what the folks did, the news, we laughed and had a great time..
with my kids everyone grabbed a plate and went off to their rooms or in the living room and watched tv, or listened to their music...no communication...not a good thing...

yellowdoggranny said...

ps...that baby is adorable..

Penguin said...

The baby picture IS adorable, I agree.

My brother and I are not at all alike either - and it drove my Mother nuts.

I agree with your wife that food should be eaten at the dining table. But, of course, I grew up in a house with 2 (yes 2) TVs in the kitchen. What do I know!

Lee Ann said...

I definitely agree with you. There are some habits aquired, but sooooo many are inherited.
That baby is precious...is that son no.2 or you as a baby?

Becky said...

I totally understand that scared of people feeling.... Truth is most people can't be trusted!

Ellen said...

We Moms are silly like that! All the good traits come from our side, and the bad from hubby's side; except, I see a lot more bad stuff coming from my side, even though I blame it on hubbys side.
Somehow though, when they get out in the world, things change again just to prove that they were their own person all along.

Foto Man said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Foto Man said...

You must tie them to the dinner chairs and demand that no one leaves the table . Oh ,I forgot , they're all tied up .
You know what I mean , John .

john said...

yg/peguin - yes , modern world makes it hard for us to pin our kids down to the dining table
the baby is inded adorable .thanks
my wish is that he stayed that way all the time ! lol.

lee ann - you can say both are true .he's grown to be like a chip of the old block !

becky - hmmm.

ellen - that explains why i can't make admit any of her mistakes. she's always right !lol.

foto - too late for that now. they will tie to the chair instead ,if you know what i mean.

mckait said...

my dad left when i was ten years old. he basically disappeard. i did not see him again until i was in my twenties, and had four kids of my own. i realized when i saw him, that we had a similar vocabulary and idiosyncrasies with words that we used, we had many of the same and similar books on the shelves, we are both avid readers, and animal advocate ( we never had animals when he was with us, my mom wouldn't allow it.. nor after he left, it was not until i had my own home.. ) and one day we met in the kitchen where we had headed to take alka seltzer! lol

he just turned 76..
after that first time, i lost touch with him again.. (he continued his habit of vanishing, and staying out of touch,until about 5 years ago.. )

as for my kids, all four are very different, and sadly my youngest takes very much after his dad in many ways.. ( except for work ethic)and my oldest has taken the best traits of my husband and expanded on them.. he also has a few traits of mine..
my daughter is most like me, and we are very close. although one of my sons has quite a few of my traits.. he is also.. unique in ways my other kids are not.. he takes free spirit to a whole new level!
:)