30.10.06

What's That , Grampa ?

It's amazing how fast things can change . What's ' in' today can be a museum item next day . Change can overtake you without knowing it . This happened to me several times . Latest is last week , I was looking for the disk holder of my son's laptop . Gone .Today's computers don't have use for disks anymore . Kids use USB now to save their files . It's the ' thingy ' you see hanging on college kids' necks or as key chains. In fact , some colleges including Harvard have their professors do their lectures in podcast . Cool . I want to be a student today . I don't have to take notes or worry about missing a lecture . I just need to be tech savvy.
I'm sure there are more obvious changes that are noticeable to us middle age folks . The ' film ' is definitely one . The popularity of digital camera certainly makes ' film ' obsolete . HDTV will definitely be a regular feature of every TV sets. I remember when ' fax ' was 1st introduced . I was amazed by the technology . It's of course ' passes ' now . You've got to be fast minded to keep track of all these changes or else people , if not your kins , will make fun of you . Like what happened to Pres. Bush lately . Of course , we've heard about him calling the internet , internets ! Now , Bush referred to Google as The Google.

7 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

oh man..how lucky they are...i remember in my algebra class the teacher was very anal..the papers all had to be written the same way...date first, then your name and then the page number of the problem's and then the problem numbers...i thought it was bullshit..so would put the date and my first name(i was the only jackie in all of his classes..so big woop) and then page what ever..and just do the problems..he would start each class with "there are two ways to do things in my class...my way..and jackie page's way.."..i never did it his way..
bet he would go nuts with today's kids..

Margie said...

Hi John
It was so nice to have you visit my blog...thanks for the visit...
and the nice comment!

I love all the new technology...
Great post!
I had a big chuckle last night with my hubby about Bush calling Google...The Google! haha!

Take care!

Margie

Ellen said...

I love my flash drive (as I call it), and am only too happy it can store tons of data. It has saved my business several times when the computer crashed, and I thought the data was lost.

Yup, the kids today have it much better in school then we ever did. I tried to convince my son of that when he would tell me that his teachers never graded homework, only tests. Geez, how would he ever know he was doing ok if they didn't grade the homework, I would ask. Luckily, he has turned around his marks now that he's in college, and doesn't have to write anything out in longhand as we did. I can't even imagine what it will be like when he has children.

Becky said...

One has to roll with teh punches to keep up...

Lee Ann said...

My boyfriend has one and says it has been a lifesaver in some of his classes!
Have a great day!
~xo

john said...

y.g.- u must be a very resourceful student .

samuru - another 'bushim' , i guess .

ellen - i can . future learning will be a blast !

becky - i'm punch drunk from too many hits !

lee ann - agree !

Penguin said...

I still have a diskette drive for both my PCs and for my laptop! I refuse to move into the 21st century!