25.10.06

We Live In Very Interesting Times ..

Yup . The other day , my friend was telling me how different today's TV world is with so many channels . ' I don't know what to watch ' he ' complained ' to me over the phone . The reason why is that he lives in Canada and in that country they get the sattelite feeds of all channels without paying for them. Lucky bastard . If you have the right equiptments and dish , you can get Pay Per View , Video On Demand , History channel , Playboy , HBO , MSNBX , Fox News and CNN etc . without paying the monthly fees . It's a TV addict paradise over there .
Me . I am happy watching the 4 major netwoks - ABC , CBS , NBC and Fox and on cable - MCNBC , CNN and Fox News. Interesting how the 3 cable news are all different and competitive. Fox is rightist , while the 2 are left-middle of the road .When Fox' O'Reilly identified Rep. Mark Foley ( delirately or not ) as a Democrat when the scandal 1st broke , MSNBC sure highlighted the mistake in their various shows . Now CNN , featuring the terrorist arms video, is being criticized by Fox .
As far asthe network news battle is concern , it's as heated as before the days of 3 oldtimers - Brokaw, Jennings and Rather -who left news scene . CBS' Katie Couric Evening News , after initial surge in the ratings , is reported to be lagging behind at 3rd . NBC's World Tonight by Brian Williams is at 1st followed by ABC's World News by Charles Gibson . I watched all 3 news at 6:30 PM . I start with Gibson and change to NBC or ABC depending on which is more interesting . The problem is that all 3 networks break for commercials practically at the same time .

6 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

when bob scheffer was on cbs news i watched him and him alone..now that he is gone and that squeeky voiced im not interested in cleevage during my news katie couric i switch back and forth.and they do take their commercial breaks at the same time and pisses me off..but i liked bob and miss him sooo much...

Becky said...

Commercials at the same time is a freaking conspiracy! Get Tivo, you will not regret it!

Ellen said...

Charlie Gibson on ABC is still my favorite. I've watched him for years starting with his Good Morning America days. And before him, I liked Peter Jennings. I followed his career from the Vietnam days, as a cub reporter.

Lee Ann said...

Have a wonderful weekend!
~xo

mckait said...

hmmm I hate commercials too..
I always watch Gibson.. I like him.. or I should say that if I watch news at all.. it is ABC . I switch off to MSNBC in the vevenings.. Sometimes, I switch from Gibson to Tucker Carlson on MSNBC during commercials..
I like Tucker, although I do not always agree with him..
he seems to have common sense and a fairly open mind..
sort of
anyway


For regular tv viewing.. I tape any shows that I want to watch..
( not interested in TIVO .. too expensive) and watch on the weekend.

This works well for me.. If I am able to watch while the show is actuallyon.. I simply turn off the vcr.. :)

john said...

y.g. - i like bob too but katie is not too bad . it's just hard to take her as a serious newsperson after all her years in today .

becky - tivo ? maybe .

ellen - peter is good but i like dan rather more . in fact , i like the old faces more !

kath - tucker . now that's one guy who can deliver the news . unfortunatrly , he cannot dance !