2.11.06

Outsourcing The Future

Why the hell did American businesses came up with the idea of outsourcing? The other day , I read the news that 'outsourcing' will save American firms about $ 50+ billion in the future . That not only manufacturing , telemarketing , animation and similar jobs are going overseas. In the near future , HR , Engineering , medical etc jobs are in jeopardy . I told my 2 sons to carefully choose the professions they would enter . This was 4 years ago when my eldest was just starting college . I pointed out to him the jobs likely to go overseas then. I don't think the list of prospective jobs in danger of being outsource is the same now . A lot has been added to the list . In the future , what's left to Americans are low paying service jobs . Darn .
That's why China has the most number of billionaires according to Forbes magazines . Opportunities abound in that country that once banned individual wealth . I once visited Shanghai like 10 years ago . There was a sprinkling of modern buildings then . Now , it is sprawling with modern buildings of all kinds . Some are mansions of young rich Chinese. One thing is sure , these young Chinese never have to worry about outsourcing . Except when they are in Las Vegas !

7 comments:

Becky said...

I should go to college, but I'm so stubborn I actually chose to get a job at a grocery store over going to college. Color me an idiot, but I have a tough time with school, I always did, I dropped out and had to be homeschooled to get my diploma. I know I should probably go to college, but I am far too stubborn. I am open to learning just not in a school environment.

Lee Ann said...

That is interesting!
It is amazing, you can call a number for customer service of a local business and talk to someone in a country far away!

Have a great day!

Ellen said...

I never went to college for any more than a course in Interior Design. I was like Becky... willing to learn, but rather go to the school of hard knocks instead. In these times you really need that college diploma if you want any job that will increase your earning power. Working up from the bottom of the ranks with just a high school diploma doesn't cut as it once did in the 60's and 70's.

That's why I'm glad my son was determined on his own to make it into college. He didn't do all that well in High School.... but has come into his own now that he's decided to further his education. He's made Deans List two semesters in a row.... something about being in the place you want to be in, makes the rewards sweeter.

As far as out-sourcing.... I'm just a little disgusted we can't find reasons to keep those jobs in our own country. Think of how we could decrease the unemployment numbers here by putting our own to work.

yellowdoggranny said...

if these companies keep outsourcing jobs they are going to run out of people here in the usa to buy their products..cause we will be too broke to afford to buy their crap made in china...

Lee Ann said...

Hope you are having a good weekend!
~xo

john said...

becky - school is not meant for everybody .

lee aa - agree . fr. india or some countries where labor is cheap !

ellen - sometime college diploma is not enough . you need a masters or doctors degrees.

y.g.- that's why a solutin to the 'outsourcing issue ' must be found .

Penguin said...

Outsourcing is just another way for multi-million dollar businesses to make money by paying extremely low wages to people who have difficulty speaking to English speaking US citizens.

I'm not racist or prejudice; I just think that with so many people out of work in the US, it would be money better spent here than in India or Shanghai.

Thank you for writing such good posts!