16.10.06

Take Care Of Your Partner's Needs

This weekend , we watched a very good movie . Not spectacular but it hits me real hard . The movie featured stories of diverse people and how they handled stress in their lives . What particularly interest me was the story of an elderly couple who lived a simple life . The wife did her stitch work while the husband watched TV while having dinner in a TV tray . Then he smoked his cigarrette after eating while she puts away her work to accompany the bunch she has accumulated through the years . That's the way they lived . Day in and day out !
One day , the lady met in a corner store, an old grade school classmate. He remembered her as a gifted girl who was good in producing wonderful things. They spent a brief time together and he told her that he lived in Europe for sometime with her wife and moved back to the States when she died . ' You should go to Italy . It's wonderful there ' the man said . Before they parted , he invited her to his place ' We can watch the ocean there ' he said.
One day , she remembered the man's invitation . She brought a chocolate bar which he buys daily from the store . She went to his place , pleasantly surprising the man . They went in and sat in the front of the ocean while listening to an opera music . She felt in heaven 'I could just sit here all day ' she said . Then the man's new wife arrived . He intoduced her to his wife. ' He told me about your chance meeting ' ' It's always nice to meet old acquaintance ' the man's wife said with a genuine smile on her face. She hurriedly said her goodbye while the man and his wife readied to go out like newly weds.
At home that night , the same routine except his husband instead put away his soiled plate. He went for his usual smoke in the balcony after eating . Then suddenly , she attacked her pounding her fists on his chest repeatedly . That's it . Simple message . Don't be boring . This week , I will ask my wife to go out and watch a movie/ eat at her fav resto ! Also , I'll recall what things she was good at before ( aside from shopping ) and try to cultivate it .

6 comments:

Lee Ann said...

Very good message. I think it is great that you took that to heart.
Have a wonderful time with your wife!
:)

yellowdoggranny said...

i would have thrown him over the balcony.

Penguin said...

Sad story! But, enlightening.
I have told my spouse we are going to a movie this weekend. He made me shrimp for dinner last night.
Tonight, I think I will sit on the other side of the couch while I bead :)
You are a good husband, John.

polona said...

very nice post. poignant, but with a lovely message.

as to your question: yes, that's a flower in the photo, but i don't know what it's called.
thank you for coming by my blog :)

Ellen said...

Good for you to read this little message before your wife did. Now you know how to spice things up, before the fists come down. LOL!

Lovely story.... now I know why my hubby always wants to do things on the weekend that aren't work related. He must have read this very story himself.

john said...

lee ann - thanks

y.g. - she actually tried to do that !

penguin - good for you , guys .

pologna - thanks .

ellen - she was actually watching the movie too . i feel guilty !
good idea . i think your work is stressful .