11.9.06

Were Where You ?

I was at work when the terrorsits struck . Walking the production floor actually . I noticed the shopfloor people were either mingling or glued to the radios. I thought it was unusual that these particular incident generated so much interest until I came up to office where the bosses and staff mingling at the computers . There were a lot of ' mingling ' going on that day . They were all looking at the CNN website showing the Twin Towers on the verge of collapse . Needless to say , productivity was kaput that day .
I have a taste of the anger that soon followed the terror attacks .Well sort of . Appararently , my boss told some people I work for Bin Laden the father or something like that . One officemate seething with anger asked me about it . I worked for a company that is a subcon of Bin Laden Org. which is a very large firm in Saudi Arabia , but not directly for BLO. Also , I made sure I'm no Saudi although sometimes I'm mistaken for , among other nationalities, an East Indian , a Pakistani , an Arabian etc. It was really cool before 9/11 . Not anymore . An Aunt teased me by calling me ' Omar Sharif ' , the Dr. Zhivago guy . Now , I told her to call me instead - Elmer Sheriff !

5 comments:

Lee Ann said...

Yes, I was at work. My coworker had gotten a phone call from her son. We all rushed into the conference room to watch it on TV. As soon as the second plane hit, I remember saying to everyone "that is NOT an accident". That is when I started to cry.
Truly a sad day.

Penguin said...

Sad that you cannot be likened to the handsome Omar. I understand people's grief and anger. What I don't understand is why we cannot understand that not every Omar is a terrorist.
Yes, it was a sad day - innocent people dying is always sad.

Ellen said...

I mirror Lee Anns comment about it not being an accident, as I said the same thing when the second plane hit the South Tower. I was also watching the events unfold on a TV we have at work. The sick feeling I had in my stomach did not go away for quite some time.

And Penguin is right, not every Omar is a terrorist. It is only too sad that you get lumped into a catagory you have no dealings with, just because of your skin color or general make-up. I have the same problem with many people mistaking me for being Spanish, because of my Italian decent. I don't even know enough Spanish to hold a conversation, yet I have people speaking it to me all the time. I have to stop them to tell them that I speak perfect English, and don't understand a word they are saying. Life is strange when we profile, isn't it?

Becky said...

I was visiting my sister, she just had her first baby on the tenth. She just so happened to live less than a couple miles from the Pentagon. Ironically enough, my husband was practically across the street from me, but we never met until three years later. We both heard the plane crash, I was outside smoking, as was he. I ran in and saw the news after I heard it. It made me duck it was so loud.

john said...

LA-Yes , it was truly a sad day even now .

Penguin - The consolation is that Mr. Sharif is an old man . Maybe , it's time to compare me to a younger star.lol.

Ellen - You're right . In the past it's kinda cool . You can be the man w/ many faces . Now , it's too dangerous .

Y.G.- It was horror . Like watchin' an action movie . Only this time , it's real .

Becky - Whaddya' know . You have somethin' in common to talk abt . Only , it's not pleasant .