14.9.06

Marrying Up

It's funny but when I was young ' security ' was the last thing in my mind . I would marry the girl that will make me fall in love is what was in my mind then. This mentality was bolstered by Hollywood films . You know , poor girl meets rich boy , they marry and live happilly ever after . I was a real sucker for this kind of stories then . Even now . Pretty Woman is but one of the movies of the same theme that I love.
Now that I'm a parent of 2 grown up boys soon to enter the ' marrying age ', I tried to impart some wisdom to them that my parents did not pass to me ( not that they will listen to the old man ) . So one day , I told 'em in my best Cary Grant voice ' Boys , you should look for girls that will make you better overall '. From thereon , everytime my youngest needs extra allowance to buy a gift for his girlfriend who is taking up medicine , he would say to me ' You don't want the Doctor to get away , do you ? ' . Darn parenting skills .

6 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

i tried to impress on the kids to marry someone you could talk to ..about anything...not one that was good looking or good in bed so much...one that you could talk to..cause adventually the looks will fade and you will be too old to care about the sex but you will need someone to talk to...
i might as well been talking cantonese to them...all married very pretty women who are as dumb as rocks...oh well, the granddaughters listen to me better than the kids did..maybe i can teach them better.

Penguin said...

LOL wonderful :) As parents, we always regret something we said that made perfectly good sense at the time!

Ellen said...

This is funny! It seems like your son listened all too well, and has a great sense of humor to match.

Becky said...

Kids never listen anyway. Whenever you try to impart wisdom no one listens, they just look at you like an idiot or nod and smile. People just have to learn some things for themself...

mckait said...

for my part... i told my kids.. do not marry anyone until you have learned who you are... and until you have done some things that you want to do.

So far out of 4 kids, ages 29-34 only one is married. hmmmm

i told my kids to make sure that when they did marry, it was to someone who not only loved them, but respected them, and made the laugh. i told them it is important to cherish and be cherished.

my daughter has all of this, i think.. but is not married to her s/o yet.

my one married son.. well.. it is not what i would have chosen.. this lifetstyle and even the wife.. but, they seem to be happy..

not sure i would want a do over tho... lol..

they are doing fine..

i would however like my oldest son to marry an ex fiance of my youngest son.. they have never met..

what do you suppose the odds are? they are perfecat for each other, and i love the girl.. riko..

sigh

i know

but out

john said...

y.g.- ha,ha,ha . the kids ( including me when i was young ) just want someone good to look at . if she has a head on her shoulder , great !

penguin - you can say that again !

ellen - i assure you my wallet ain't laughing ! thanks .

becky - the only thing is that you hope they really 'learn' from the past not to repeat the mistakes !

kath - youe eldest marrying an ex of your son ? why not . they have to discover ea. other 'tho .