19.3.07

Kida Don't Live Here Anymore .

The other day , a friend of mine was telling me that he is getting ready for the day his kids are no longer living in the house with him and his wife . ' I've finished 2 rooms in my basement and need only to put a bathroom and a small kitchen ' he boasted proudly of his developing plan. My friend has 2 boys who are now in high school . He expects them to leave when they reach 18 years old . ' When they are working already , they can stay with me if they chose to but they would have to pay the rent ' my friend said matter of factly. It may sound 'cold' but I guess that's just practical thinking. I remember this movie about a man and wife wanting badly 'to kick' their 28 year old son out of their home even resorting to an outside consultant to help them do it. The consultant was the star of Sex And The City . I guess , it's possible to happen . No, not the hiring of a consultant but the kids staying up to their late 20's or so. Why not ? They get free board and all the amenities of life ! ' It's better if the kids know what's ahead ' my friend finished his statement .

3 comments:

Lee Ann said...

I can see postive and negative to that.
Teach them to stand on their own two feet from the start of their adulthood.
But...
18 years old! That is fairly young. They are barely an adult (still a teenager).
Plus, we really don't know the background of these "kids"...are they goof offs or are they really mature and responsible!?
Hope you have a great day!

mckait said...

I had a friend like that... literally put her kids stuff.. the boys, anyway.. out on the curt when they turned 18.
Mine were all out by then.. college, navy etc.. but one returned and became a real pain.. he was not happy being here.. and so instead of leaving.. he just did all he could to torture me.

Finally he found a job and is out,but he was 28 before he finally left. I admit it was too comfy here for him...

I have always let all of mine know that this is a place they could come to if need be.. but he took it too far... and refused to pay rent or help out.. although he made more than his dad.

so How do I feel?

19 is too young to toss them for good.

john said...

Lee Ann : I agree with you Eighteen is much to young.Maybe 21 is the more appropriate age.

Nikey: That's right.In time of need,the kids know they have a place to stay.

Kath : Good . I'm glad to know that your son decided to be independent now.Some kids take a little more time to mature.