11.12.06

Expensive Buying Habits

One of the things my wife was very proud of is the fact that our 2 boys are not brand conscious. No brand names for clothings are OK to them . ' I would buy them shirts and pants from Walmart and sometimes Sears and they won't mind ' she bragged to our friends .That was until lately . They changed a lot when they entered separate universities . I guess the ' influence ' of new friends , the internet and the school itself have changed their buying habits. Here's how .
My yougest son now buys a lot of cool stuff via the net . Several weeks ago , he asked his mom to buy 6 t-shirts for him and his friends which they will pay later . No problem with that except that buying through the internet is now becoming a habit for this son of mine .Net buying is more expensive and there is no haggling which my wife likes to do !
The eldest son is a different case alltogether. He has refrained from ' buying from countries that exploit labor and the like.'' Made In China' clothes are a definite no no for him . One time , while shopping together , I showed him a nice jacket and said ' This one is from the Phillipines . That country has strict labor laws '. My son answered ' Yes , but they have child prostitution over there ' . We ended up buying a far more expensive Italian made item even when I told my son that Versace probably employs illegal aliensl !

5 comments:

Becky said...

Yes, both the husband and I agree, name brands are totally and absolutely pointless, vain, and worldly items that make an insecure person feel better about themselves. It's a pretty disgusting concept actually.

Lee Ann said...

I understand....I think it is amazing they made it through high school without brands being important....my neices have specific shops they like. It is a shame, because I totally agree with you!

mckait said...

yes.. i was fortunate with my kids.. "names" were not ever requested.. but then, that was a while ago..

even nowthough.. when they are in their thirties , they are conservative buyers and not intrested in names..

raising kids is not for the faint of heart....!!!!

Merry christmas!

Ty said...

Name brands are cheap in Asia . Only they're fakes . No one will notice anyway.

Lee Ann said...

Happy New Year John!
~xo
Lee Ann