11.5.07

The (Un)Joy Of Gardening

Here we are again. The time of the year when one prepares the tools for gardening. Really ? Not me.My gardening days are over.No flowers, no vegetables and as little work on the dandol... I mean , the green green grass of home. As you may recall , to those of you who still follow my blog, we just completed our first full year in this new place. We should start the landscaping and the like , right ? No.I don't intend to make the same mistakes I made 5 years ago when I planted tress left and right.WhenI built vegetable boxes for different kinds of veggies .When I had flowers galore coming out of my azz .Now we will have the minimum.This is what I told my wife.

1. cheery tomatoes ONLY for veggie and in a pot or 2 .
2. mostly perennial flowers ONLY of minimum nos. and kinds.
3. definitely NO trees 'cept in house ones i.e bonsai or mini orange tree.
4. no daily watering of the grass so these greenies won't be accustomed to H2O.
5. patio should be for use reading. If want to see a garden , I'll go to a nearby park.

Those are the rules I laid down to my wife and me to follow . Gardening should not take 1/4 of our time. Poor me should have time to blog.

3 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

after moving from the house with yard I am so happy in the apt with just a few square patches and porch..but I do have two huge (waist high already) tomato plants.
rosemary,basil,pepper plant,japanese eggplant and something else that I bought today and can't remember already..ha..
I planted some nasturchins as they are easy, take little work and thive if you have a black thumb like I do...so I can sit on my little porch and enjoy my tiny garden and still have time/energy to do other stuff...

mckait said...

hmmmm I am a fan of trees, too .
we have planted . I have a double lot in town.. and have planted 10 trees since 1988. Mostly small trees. japanese maple, two varieties..
dogwoods x 2,weeing cherry and a weeping something that I can never remember .
We wed the trees tho..
we had to cut down 1 apple tree, that was throwing apples at my elderly and beloved neighbors.... and three cherry trees that were dying by inches..

I may plant another this year... giving it some thought..

have not started in quite yet... cool weather and illness slowed me down.. but this week, look out!

che said...

Good for you.It's neverending job that gardening unless you are really into it.